About Saving Bank Account Portability
Finance Ministry and Reserve Bank of India has thought of this new initiative of Saving bank account portability. Once it will come into effect, general public would be able to move their account from one bank to another without changing the account number. A similar suggestion was also recommended last year in the Damodaran Committee Report.
Last year, the Indian Poplualtion got priviledged with Mobile number Portability (MNP) from January 2011 and Health Insurance Portability (HIP) from July 2011 after paying a nominal fee.
Saving Bank account Portability has come at an opportunistic time when Reserve Bank of India has deregulated the saving account interest rates (from October 2011), following which few private sector lenders have hiked the rates to as much as 7 per cent, whereas banks such as HDFC Bank and SBI have remained quite.
Positives effects of Bank Account Portability:
This project certainly needs a lot of technical and integration issues to be considered, which requires a lot funds to be injected. For Fiscal 2012-13 the government has made a budget provision of Rs.6,000 crore for Capital Investment in PSU banks. The move would benefit the general public in many ways:
- Dissatisfied banking customers would get a relief as it will save them the trouble of going through the process of opening a new bank account each time they want to switch banks.
- The move would also keep away the public from handling multiple bank accounts.
- Better services for customers, led by the enhanced competition.
- People who often relocate will get a sigh of rrelief after this policy come into effect, who usually end up opening multiple accounts at different locations.
Consequeses to be taken care of / Requirements:
However, initiating this task is not going to be a cup of tea for banks as there are many loopholes int he system, that need to be addressed.
- Many of them have different methods and streamlining these will take time. This will also involve changes in their software integration systems.
- Banks would have to work on the uniformity of having an identification code, Know Your Customer (KYC) norms and core banking solution (CBS) for implementing this savings bank account number portability policy.
- Banks will need a uniform pattern of savings account numbers, as the current system of having an account number differs between banks significantly.
The policy will certainly save a lot of paper work involved in switching your bank account without much hassels. Lastly, we need a centralised agency that would maintain all our KYC documents, so that we don’t need to comply with submissions with different banks repeatedly.
With the funds and the blockade involved, financial experts hope that savings accounts number portability could easily take at least three to five years to get implemented in India.
Last Updated on 1/11/2012
|>> More Banks in India|
- Abhyudaya Co Op Bank Ltd
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Axis Bank
- Bank Of America
- Bank Of Bahrain And Kuwait
- Bank Of Baroda
- Bank Of Ceylon
- Bank Of India
- Bank Of Maharashtra
- Bank Of Tokyo Mitsubishi Ufj Ltd
- Barclays Bank Plc
- Bassein Catholic Co Op Bank Ltd
- Bnp Paribas
- Canara Bank
- Catholic Syrian Bank Ltd
- Central Bank Of India
- Chinatrust Commercial Bank
- Citizen Credit Co Op Bank Ltd
- City Union Bank Ltd
- Corporation Bank
- Credit Agricole Corp N Invsmnt Bank
- Dbs Bank Ltd
- Dena Bank
- Deutsche Bank Ag
- Development Credit Bank Limited
- Dhanlaxmi Bank Ltd
- Dombivli Nagari Sahakari Bank Limited
- Firstrand Bank Limited
- Hdfc Bank Ltd
- Hsbc Bank Ltd
- Icici Bank Ltd
- Idbi Bank Ltd
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Indusind Bank Ltd
- Janakalyan Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Jp Morgan Chase Bank
- Kapol Co Op Bank
- Karnataka Bank Ltd
- Karur Vysya Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Mahanagar Co Op Bank Ltd
- Maharashtra State Co Operative Bank
- Mashreq Bank Psc
- Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd
- New India Co Operative Bank Ltd
- Nkgsb Co Op Bank Ltd
- Nutan Nagarik Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Oman International Bank Saog
- Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- Parsik Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Punjab And Maharashtra Co Op Bank Ltd
- Punjab And Sind Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- Rajkot Nagarik Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Reserve Bank Of India
- Standard Chartered Bank
- State Bank Of Bikaner And Jaipur
- State Bank Of Hyderabad
- State Bank Of India
- State Bank Of Mysore
- State Bank Of Travancore
- The Ahmedabad Mercantile Co Operative Bank Ltd
- The Bank Of Nova Scotia
- The Bharat Co Operative Bank Mumbai Ltd
- The Cosmos Co Operative Bank Ltd
- The Federal Bank Ltd
- The Jammu And Kashmir Bank Ltd
- The Kalupur Commercial Co Op Bank Ltd
- The Kalyan Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd
- The Karad Urban Co Op Bank Ltd
- The Karnataka State Co Operative Apex Bank Ltd Ba
- The Lakshmi Vilas Bank Ltd
- The Mehsana Urban Co Operative Bank Ltd
- The Mumbai Sub Urban Co Op Bank Ltd
- The Nainital Bank Limited
- The Nashik Merchants Co Op Bank Ltd
- The Ratnakar Bank Ltd
- The Royal Bank Of Scotland