Narayana Murthy Biography
Narayana Murthy's Factsheet
|Name||Nagavara Ramarao Narayana Murthy|
|Born on||20th August 1946|
|Place of Birth||Mysore, India|
|Educated from||National Institute of Engineering, University of Mysore, IIT Kanpur|
|Works for||Infosys Technologies|
|Valued at||$1.8 Billion|
|Position||Chairman Emeritus of Infosys Technologies|
|Married to||Sudha Murthy|
|Children||2, son Rohan Murty and a daughter Akshata Murthy|
Narayana Murthy's Personal BackgroundN. R. Narayana Murthy was born in a 'Kannada Madhwa Brahmin' family in Mysore. He has eight brothers and a sister. Murthy's father was a school teacher.
Narayana attended a government school and pursued his B.E degree from the University of Mysore and masters from IIT, Kanpur.
Narayana is married to Sudha Murthy, who too is an engineer, an Indian social worker and an accomplished author.
Narayana's wife being a philanthropist, he too believes in philanthropy. Murthy comes across as a very social and friendly man. He always raises his voice for various social issues in the country such as elections, unemployment, poverty etc. He is a cooperative and a good natured person and manages his company quite well. The recent news of him quitting Infosys has been keeping him in the headlines.
Narayana Murthy's Career
- Narayana started his career as a chief system programmer at IIM Ahmedabad where he implemented the BASIC interpreter for ECIL (Electronics Corporation of India Limited).
- Later, he joined Patni Computer Systems, Pune. Prior to moving to Mumbai, he met his wife, Sudha, who too was an engineer.
- In 1981, Narayana founded Infosys with six people with an initial capital of US$250, the maximum share of which was borrowed from his wife. Narayana served as the CEO of Infosys for 21 years, and later was succeeded by co-founder Nandan Nilekani in March 2002.
- Infosys became the first company to be listed in NASDAQ, in 1991.
- In 1996, it started its office in Europe, Milton Keynes, UK.
- In 2002, it was selected as the “The India's Most Respected Company” by the Business World Survey.
Awards and Achievements won by Narayan MurthyBeing the 33rd richest man in India, he has a net worth of US $1.8 Billion. He has won a number of awards, following are some of them:
- The Asiaweek magazine counted him in the 50 top most powerful men in the year 2000.
- He was honored with the Padma shree award by the President of India.
- In 2001, he was awarded the Wharton school's Dean Medal, University of Pennsylvania.
- Narayana was also honored with the title 'Asia's Businessman of the year' by Fortune magazine in 2003.
- In 2008 he was honored with the Padma Vibhushan by the President of India.
- He is associated with important and prestigious organizations. He is the member of the Board of Directors of INSEAD, the Board of Oversees of the Wharton School Of the University of Pennsylvania, the Board of Members of School of Management at Asian Institute of Technology.
- He also serves as a Director of the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India.
Infosys Technologies Ltd- Company Profile
Infosys Technologies Ltd. (NASDAQ: INFY) was started in 1981 by seven people with US$ 250. Infosys defines, designs and delivers technology-enabled business solutions for Global 2000 companies. Infosys also provides a complete range of services by leveraging our domain and business expertise and strategic alliances with leading technology providers.
Infosys has a global footprint with 64 offices and 63 development centers in US, India, China, Australia, Japan, Middle East, UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, Poland, Canada and many other countries. Infosys and its subsidiaries have 130,820 employees as on March 31, 2011.
The company follows the following principles:
- Vision : "We will be a globally respected corporation."
- Mission : "To achieve our objectives in an environment of fairness, honesty, and courtesy towards our clients, employees, vendors and society at large".
- Values : We believe that the softest pillow is a clear conscience. The values that drive us underscore is commitment
- Client Value : To surpass client expectations consistently.
- Leadership by Example : To set standards in our business and transactions and be an exemplar for the industry and ourselves.
- Integrity and Transparency : To be ethical, sincere and open in all our transactions.
- Fairness : To be objective and transaction-oriented, and thereby earn trust and respect.
- Excellence : To strive relentlessly, constantly improve ourselves, our teams, our services and products to become the best.
Last Updated on 08/06/2015