The Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies was established in 1965. It is regarded as a unique name the domain of management education because of its focus on Indian thought processes. It has also been able to adapt itself to the requirements of liberalization and globalization.
The JBIMS is also closely associated with some of the leading names in the Indian business fraternity and this has enabled this institute to provide its students with the added advantage that is necessary to attain leadership positions in the days to come.
Asia Inc has ranked the institute among the top 25 business schools in the continent. The JBIMS focuses primarily on disciplines related to core management and the related operational areas. It also has several experts and senior professionals from the world of management.
In addition, the students can get involved in extra-curricular activities such as inter business school competitions and research projects that are organized by the JBIMS itself.
Following are the various rankings it has received after inception:
- 2000 – Received Best Institute of Management Award from the Bombay Management Association
- 2007 – Ranked 6th in Business Today-Nielsen’s Best B-schools Survey
Courses at Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies
The following programs are available at the JBIMS:
- MBA Full Time (MMS)
- MBA Part Time (MIM – Master in Information Management)
- MBA Part Time (MFM – Master in Financial Management)
- MBA Part Time (MMM – Master in Marketing Management)
- MBA Part Time (MHRDM – Masters in Human Resource Development and Management)
- Doctoral Programme
Admissions at Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies
Full Time Programs
In these courses the admission is done through the Centralized Admission Process (CAP) that is organized by the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE) on a yearly basis. The procedure starts during January every year and consists of the following selection stages:
- Common Entrance Test (MH-CET)
- Personal Interview (PI)
- Group Discussion (GD)
The CET is an objective multiple choice test that aims to test an applicant’s capability in various areas such as:
- Verbal ability
- Visual reasoning
- Quantitative aptitude
- Reading comprehension
- Data interpretation
The PI and GD take place after the CET and have a lot of importance when it comes to selection of a candidate.
- At least 50 percent marks in aggregate. In case of candidates from Maharashtra who are from the backward classes the minimum percentage is 45%. The candidate should also be a graduate of a program that has been certified by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Candidates who have appeared for their final examination of the graduation stage can also apply for the program
The fees for this program are INR 1 lakh per year and it has been agreed to by the Shikshan Shulka Samiti.
Part Time Programs
The selection process for these programs is similar to the full time courses.
- Applicants should be graduates of a full time program with a minimum duration of 3 years in a program that has been authenticated by the Association of Indian Universities, or, the applicants can also have passed the Graduate Examination in Industrial Engineering in Mumbai and have then been successful in the IIT GATE exams.
- They should have at least 2 years’ work experience as an executive or a supervisor. It should be a full time job and not a project or internship.
For selection the following factors come into play:
- Applicants’ scholastic record Performance in the selection program Nature and level of work experience
The following documents are necessary for selection:
- Certified and authentic copy of a degree examination conducted by another university
- Certified and authentic copy of job experience
- Certified and authentic copy of a professional diploma or university degree
The fees for the part time courses are INR 51,000 per year.
Placements at Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies
Following is a sectoral break-up of the companies that offered placements at the Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies in 2012:
- BFSI and IB – 33 percent
- FMCG and Pharma – 24 percent
- Manufacturing and Conglomerates – 18 percent
- Consulting and IT – 15 percent
- Others – 10 percent
The sector-wise breakdown of the new companies at the event can be mentioned as below:
- FMCG and Pharma – 32 percent
- Consulting and IT – 28 percent
- Manufacturing and conglomerates – 20 percent
- BFSI and IB – 11 percent
- Others – 9 percent
Given below is a sector-wise list of companies that attended the placement program:
- BFSI and IB – Barclays Capital, Indiabulls, Citibank, SBI Capital, Standard Chartered Bank, Kotak, Mahindra Bank, HSBC, L&T Finance, JP Morgan Chase, Motilal Oswal Securities Ltd., ICICI Bank, Tata Capital, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, YES Bank, CARE Ratings, Nomura, UniDEL, Avista Advisory, FINO, HDFC Standard Life, FinStream, Religare, Four-S Services, Bloomberg, HDFC MF, and India Infoline
- Manufacturing and Conglomerates - Reliance Industries, Godrej & Boyce, General Electric, Tata Motors, Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata Steel, Raymond, Nerolac Paints, Reliance Power, Goodyear, Shree Renuka Sugars Limited, Usha International, Cummins, and Neilsoft
- FMCG and Pharma - HUL, L’Oreal, P&G, UB Group, Colgate Palmolive, Pidilite, Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Johnson & Johnson Pharma, ITC, Abbott, PepsiCo, Pfizer, Reckitt Benckiser, AstraZeneca, Hindustan, Manipal Group, Coca-Cola Beverages, Allied Blenders & Distillers, Britannia, and Brand Care
- PSU and NGO - Bank of India, Power Finance Corporation, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, IDBI Bank, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, and Teach for India
- Consulting and IT - McKinsey & Company, Tata Consultancy Services, KPMG, HCL Technologies, PwC, Infosys, Michael Page International, Wipro, Google, Accenture Technologies, Jones Lang LaSalle, Enzen Global, Mancer Consulting, Tally Solutions, Aira Consulting, Polaris, Aranca Consulting, KPIT Cummins, i-Maritime Consultancy, and MphasiS
- Telecom and Media – Vodafone, AGC Networks, Aircel, Times Group, and Idea Cellular
- Others – Amazon, D’Decor, Gadhia Solar, Sahara Prime City, Suvidhaa, GTT Connect, BASF, and Gifting India
Following are some highlights of the 2012 program:
- Total amount of students – 118
- Amount of first time recruiters - 22
- Amount of registered companies – 95
- Average domestic salary – 14.9 lakh rupees
- Amount of companies who participated in the event – 86
- Maximum domestic salary – 24 lakh rupees
The sector-wise breakdown of placements can be enumerated as below:
- BFSI and IB – 36 percent
- FMCG and Pharma – 25 percent
- Consulting and IT – 18 percent
- Manufacturing and Conglomerates – 16 percent
- Others – 5 percent
Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies Contact Details
Following are the contact details of JBIMS:
H.T. Parekh Marg, Backbay Reclamation
Telephone number: +91 - 022 – 22024133
Last Updtaed on 5/9/2012
- IIM Ahmedabad Ahmedabad, India
- IIM Bangalore Bangalore, India
- IIM Calcutta Kolkata, India
- IIM Indore Indore, India
- XLRI Jamshedpur School of Business & Human Resources Jamshedpur, India
- IIM Lucknow Lucknow, India
- MDI Gurgaon Gurgaon - Delhi/NCR, India
- SP Jain Institute of Management & Research Mumbai, India
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS) Mumbai, India
- Faculty of Management Studies (FMS-Delhi) Delhi/NCR, India