The Building and Construction Industry of the future would depend on the petrochemical intermediaries for low cost, light weight, durable materials.
With the boom in the construction sector building are popping up here and there. Nowadays people demand for durable and comfortable homes at competitive prices. This dream of 'home sweet home' is being fulfilled by petrochemical intermediaries used as basic materials for manufacturing of building and constructions materials.
Petrochemicals used in Building and Construction Industry:
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC), it is a polymer of vinyl chloride. It is used in pipes, electrical cables, light weight doors
- Polyurethane is a synthetic compound manufactured from Toluene. It is used for making foams present in furniture, floor coatings
- Polypropylenes are various types of thermoplastic fibers used as the main component in fabrics used for home furnishings like upholstery and carpets.
- Polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) is manufactured from methyl methacrylate used widely in the construction industry
- Polycarbonate resins are used as adhesives in construction works
- Phenolic resin is made from phenol. It is used as a molding powder in building and construction work
- Unsaturated polyester resins are used as adhesives in the construction works
- Polymers are used for manufacturing of the various laminates used in flooring tiles, roofing tiles, furnitures, etc.
- Additives for fast drying of concrete
- Polymer additives to give strength to concrete and reducing weight.
- Non structural adhesives emulsions used to bond wall and floor coverings
Advantages of petrochemicals used in Building and Construction Industry:
- Reduction of weight helps in exerting less pressure on the foundation of the buildings
- Durability of materials as most of them are weatherproof
- Reduction in overall cost of construction
Last Updated on 13 December 2011