Kushal Pal Singh Biography
KP Singh factsheet
|Name||Kushal Pal Singh|
|Born on||15th November, 1931|
|Place of Birth||Bulandshahar, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Education||Science Graduate, Meerut College, Uttar Pradesh|
|Founder of||DLF Universal|
|Valued at||US $ 3.4 Billion|
|Children||Rajiv, Pia, Renuka|
About Kushal Pal SinghKushal Pal Singh, is a real estate magnate, and is known for being India's largest real estate developer. Born on August 15, 1931, in Bulandshehar, Uttar Pradesh, he grew up to establish and head DLF Limited, as the chairman and CEO of the company.
Personal background of Kushal Pal SinghKushal comes from a Jat family of successful landlords and lawyers. He is a graduate in science from Meerut College, Uttar Pradesh. For pursuing higher education in Aeronautical Engineering, he went to UK, and subsequently got selected in the Indian Army, by British Officers Services Selection Board, UK. Thereafter, he joined The Indian Military Academy at Dehradun and was, consequently commissioned into a renowned cavalry regiment of The Indian Army, 'The Deccan Horse'.
He left the army, and joined his father-in-law, Chaudhary Raghvender Singh, who is the founder of the DLF group. In 1960, he joined American Universal Electric Company, which was a joint venture between Universal electric Company of Owosso, Michigan and the Singh family. Along the line, he promoted another company, Willard India limited, in collaboration with ESB inc of Philadelphia for the manufacture of automatic and industrial batteries in India, and consequently, became it's Managing director. In 1979, American Universal Company merged with DLF Universal Limited, placing Kushal on the post of the Managing Director of this new company.
K.P Singh, is married and is a father to three children. His son, Rajiv, and daughter, Pia are supposed to take care of his property business operations after him. Chaudhary Raghvender Singh, his father-in-law, shares close ties with each other. His father-in law, himself has done infrastructural wonders to various areas in South Delhi, such as South Extension and Greater Kailash, to name a few But the family in general, maintains a low public profile.
- The key man, behind DLF, who has successfully renamed Gurgaon, as The Millennium City or The Shopping Mall Capital of India, enjoys a deep passion for Golf.
- He differs in his ideas of philanthropy, believing that "The concept of philanthropy is really good, but for that people in our country, first need to create wealth themselves".
- His contribution in transforming Gurgaon into a world renowned hub within a decade is practically unforgettable.
Kushal Pal Singh's CareerAs the director of the new merger company, in 1979, he set out on an ambitious plan to develop property in the rural state of Haryana. He had huge ideas of buying land in the small township of Gurgaon, and envisioned the advantages of Gurgaon's close proximity to the metropolis of New Delhi. An entrepreneur, K P Singh, could see great scope for real estate development in Gurgaon, and his far-fetched futuristic ideas, paid him well, transforming him into a real-estate business tycoon. As time went by, dreams turn into realities and plans executed into action, Gurgaon transformed into India's leading real estate destinations and a hub of business activity. Today, it is commonly referred to as, Millennium City.
Awards and Achievements won by Kushal Pal Singh
- The 76 year old, Indian billionaire, K.P Singh, today stands at a worth of $3.4 billion, and has amassed considerable fortune to be counted as one of the richest entrepreneur in the world.
- He has transformed Gurgaon into a modern-day residential destination by providing it with world-class facilities like, earthquake proof office buildings, apartments and shopping malls.
- He holds many key positions in regulatory bodies, including the post of the president of the Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- India and also of the PHD chamber of Commerce and industry.
- Currently, Singh also presides over the Central Board, Reserve Bank of India, as its director.
- He is the director of 31 different private companies engaged in various sectors of the economy.
- The prestigious 'Delhi Ratna' award was honored to him for his valuable contribution to Delhi.
DLF Universal- Company Profile
- Under Singh's leadership, DLF built and developed DLF city, on the 3000 acre land purchased in Gurgaon.
- DLF, as a group, played a significant role in attracting a number of MNCs to India, leading to employment generation and international level competition.
- It was instrumental in bringing huge brand names to the nation, GE and Nestle, to name a few.
- DLF Cyber City in Gurgaon is amongst the biggest integrated technology parks in India, spanning across 125 acres.
- The only night golf club in India, and one of the top golf clubs in Asia, also attributes it's presence to DLF.
- Recently launched, DLF Emporio Mall in New Delhi stands out as the largest luxury mall of the metropolis.
- Presently, the company is handling many projects in various cities on a land bank of more than 10,000 acres.
- Title sponsorship, for the popular Indian Premier League series is also bagged by this company.
- The market capital of India's largest real estate company, DLF, now stands at Rs.1,14,744 crore.
Problems Faced by DLF
- Certain new projects undertaken by the company are facing problems.
- They have not received the due approval yet.
- Tsunami rehabs created near the apartments can increase the risk of degrading the value of these apartments.
- The company, may also be running under the risk of more supply, than demand.
Last Updated on June 10, 2015