Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel Biography
Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel
|Name||Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel|
|Place of Birth||Ahmedabad|
|Education||Master of Pharmacy from Gujarat University|
|Works for||Cadila Healthcare|
|Position||Chairman and Managing Director|
|Valued at||US $4.1 Billion|
|Children||Sharvil Patel, Shivani Patel|
About Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel
Born in 1951, Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel is the Managing Director and the current Chairman of the fifth largest pharmaceutical company in India, The Cadila Healthcare. Patel made it to the 26th place on Forbes magazine's first annual list of the 40 richest Indians (2004) with an estimated net worth of $510 million.
- In 2004, Mr. Pankaj Patel was declared the Pharma Man of the Year by the Federation of Indian Industry and Economists for contributing to the growth of the Indian Pharma Industry.
- The World Pharmaceutical Frontiers ranked him in their First Pharma 40 list of world's most influential people in the field of healthcare.
- Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance
- Indian Drug Manufacturers Association
- Basic Chemicals
- Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics Export Promotion Council
- Gujarat Chambers of Commerce and Industry
- Ramanbhai Patel, father of Pankaj Patel founded Cadila Laboratories in 1952. He was a lecturer in the L.M. College of Pharmacy, and started Cadila in partnership with Shri Indravadan Modi.
- Over the next four decades, they saw the company rise into one of India's most established pharmaceutical companies.
- In 1995, the company got divided and Pankaj inherited the Zydus Cadila group. He recalls "My Dad wasn't happy at all, but I was able to convince him that we had to go our own way if we wanted to grow."
- Both partners agreed to share the name-Cadila for their individual groups, namely Cadila Healthcare and Cadila Pharmaceuticals.
- Today, Pankaj enjoys 75% stake in listed flagship Cadila Health care and makes branded and generic drugs and rabies vaccines.
- For further discovery and development of cardiovascular drugs, he came into partnership with Eli Lilly.
- The Cadila Healthcare group's Zydus Wellness makes Sugar Free, the nation's most selling substitute for sugar.
- Its headquarters are located in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Under Pankaj's leadership, the company has risen to being the fifth largest pharmaceutical company in India.
- The group has made significant discoveries in fields of health, such as manufacturing a drug named Roserin which reduced the cost of treating TB by 33%.
- The group’s operations range from API to formulations, animal health products and cosmeceuticals.
- Its presence can be felt all across various countries of the world, including USA, Europe, Japan, Brazil, South Africa and 25 other emerging markets.
- It acts as an employer to 12,000 people worldwide.
- The group houses a world-class research and development center aiming at making fresh discoveries to improve people's lives.
- He would work towards enabling Cadila to discover its own drugs.
- Cadila and Eli Lilly together, are developing a cardiovascular drug, which could help the Indian company to earn $300 million in milestone payments and royalties.
- Patel says he's prepared for the long haul: "What we do tomorrow is more important than what we did yesterday".
Personal Background of Pankaj Ramanbhai PatelPankaj Patel is a graduate from Gujarat University, and holds a degree as Bachelor of Pharmacy.
He went on to pursue M.Pharma in Pharmaceutics & Pharmaceutical Technology from L. M. College of Pharmacy.
He married Priti Patel, daughter of Dr. B.D.Patel. They have two children, a son and a daughter. Their son, Sharvil Patel, is Deputy Managing Director of Cadila Health and is married to Meha Patel. Their daughter Shivani is married to Pranav D. Patel, son of Dushyant D. Patel, and has two children.
Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel FailuresInspired by his group's recent progress, Patel predicted in the year 2003 Zydus Cadila would rise up as India's third-largest pharmaceutical company by the year 2005; however his words didn't come true and the company faced losses, shifting Patel many places down the ladder of richest Indians.
Awards won and Achievements of Pankaj Ramanbhai PatelPankaj R Patel has made commendable contributions to the world, in the field of health care.
He has been honored with the following awards:
He also is a member of the following prestigious societies:
Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel's contribution to the world is highly appreciative.
Cadila Healthcare- Company Profile
Pankaj has formed many lucrative plans for the group in the future, such as:
Last Updated on 12/23/2011