Frozen foods have won the hearts of Indians by offering a variety of ready-to-eat foods which can be cooked in the least possible time. Frozen foods are available in a wide spectrum of flavors which are consumed heavily by majority of the Indian middle class households. The advent of frozen foods in the Indian food industry led to a massive change in the lifestyle of the Indian middle class. Earlier it used to take hours in kitchen but frozen foods have ensured mouthwatering dishes in no time. With the emergence of frozen food in the Indian food industry, there has been an upsurge of processed foods in the domestic markets. The income of the middle class people in India has grown in recent years. This gave rise to the increasing consumption of processed foods in India as it provides good food with lesser cooking time.
Frozen food has now become a demand driven industry in India and occupies a huge market in the country. Around 30 million Indians which comprise of both upper and middle class consume packaged foods in high quantities. This figure is likely to reach 200 million within the next three years.
Reports on Frozen Food Industry in India-
- Tata Strategic Management Group has reported that the Indian frozen food market is likely to touch USD 727.09 million by the year 2015 from the current USD 32.09 million in the year 2008. Some of the biggest contributors to this growth are ITC Foods, MTR Foods, Kohinoor, Amul, Rajbhog Foods, Ethnic Kitchens and Tasty Bite.
- The food processing industry in India contributes to 6.3 percent to India's Gross Domestic Product, 19 percent to India's industrial growth and 13 percent to the export production from the country as per estimates of early 2008.
- There has been an outstanding 193.83% growth in the processed food market in India which accounted for a rise from USD 6.98 billion in 2002-03 to USD 20.51 billion in 2006-07.
- The Government of India has decided to invest a whopping USD 25.07 billion by the year 2015 to extend India's share in the global food trade. This is approximately a rise from 1.6 % to 3 %.
Leading Frozen Food Companies in India-
- Agri Freeze Foods
- Al Kabeer Group
- Baby Marine Group
- Cochin Frozen Food Exports Private Ltd
- Farm Suzanne Private Limited
- Hak Agro Foods
- Ovobel Foods
- Petonia Foods Private Limited
- Rohilkhand Chemicals and Proteins
- Sterling Foods
- Sui Group
- migo Foods
- Forstar Frozen Foods Private Limited