SAIL- Steel Authority of India Limited
About Steel Authority of IndiaThe Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has always been the forerunner in the steel sector and tops the list of steel-making companies in India.
Potential of Steel Authority of IndiaSAIL has been ranked amongst the top ten public sector Indian companies in terms of turnover. SAIL has its forte in manufacturing and selling a wide range of steel products.
The different products of SAIL
- Hot and cold rolled sheets and coils
- Galvanised sheets
- Electrical sheets
- Railway Products.
- Bars & rods
- Stainless steel
- Other alloy steels
|Latest Financial Figures||(Figures in Rs. Crores)|
|ET 500 Rank(2014)||27|
|Profit after Tax(PAT)||2616.48|
|MCAP (Market Capitalization)||34758.41|
SAIL's wide range of long and flat steel products have high demand in the domestic as well as international market. SAIL carries on its business through the wide network of 37 Branch Sales Offices which are spread across four regions, 25 Departmental Warehouses, 42 Consignment Agents and 27 Customer Contact Offices. There are in all more than 2000 dealers and thus the marketing division of Steel Authority of India Limited is quite strong. This ensures that virtually every district of the country gets quality steel.
There is a well-equipped Research and Development Centre for Iron and Steel (RDCIS) at Ranchi of Steel Authority of India Limited. It helps in producing quality steel and also for developing new technologies for the steel industry.
Major Units of SAIL
- Integrated Steel Plants
- Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP) in Chhattisgarh
- Durgapur Steel Plant (DSP) in West Bengal
- Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) in Orissa
- Bokaro Steel Plant (BSL) in Jharkhand
- IISCO Steel Plant (ISP) in West Bengal
Special Steel Plants
- Alloy Steels Plants (ASP) in West Bengal
- Salem Steel Plant (SSP) in Tamil Nadu
- Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISL) in Karnataka
SubsidiaryMaharashtra Elektrosmelt Limited (MEL) in Maharashtra Ownership and Management of Steel Authority of India Limited.
The Government of India owns around 86% of SAIL's equity and thus retains with itself the voting control of the Company.
Achievements of SAILEverybody has recognized the performance of SAIL, including stakeholders, financial institutions, rating agencies and industry bodies. This has helped them win several awards in different fields across all financial years.
The major awards in 2008-09 were –
- The highest number of Vishwakarma Award 2007 among both public and private sectors has been bagged by SAIL employees: out of 28 awards, 15 awards went to the SAIL employees (54%).
- 25 SAIL employees have received the Prime Minister's Shram Awards 2006 (that comprises 42% of total awards in India).
Recent developments of SAIL
- The merger between Maharashtra Elektrosmelt Limited (MEL) and Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) is to take six more months. All the formalities are slated to be completed by then.
- Steel Authority of India (SAIL) has achieved a step forward in the deadlock over Chiria iron ore mines. In the last few years, Jharkhand government's refusal for renewing the mining leases, had thrown the race for Chiria open to global steel majors including ArcelorMittal.
Corporate OfficeIspat Bhawan, Lodi Road, New Delhi
110 003 (STD 011)
EPBAX – Ispat Bhavan
Phone No. 24300100, 243 67481
Last Updated on May 22, 2015