Bangalore Development Authority
The Bangalore Development Authority was established on 6th January, 1976 under the BDA Act of 1976. Undertaking the planning and developmental functions of the City Planning Authority and CITB, BDA has been working on housing developments, city infrastructure, sites, and services.
The following are the various departments under Bangalore Development Authority:
- Engineering department: Undertook pioneering developmental work in major BDA projects such as extensions of Banashankari VI Stage, Sir.M.Visveswaraiahnagar Layout, Arkavathi Nagar Layout, Ananda Rao Circle flyover, and Ring Road.
- Town Planning department: Is concerned with reviewing present situations, current trends, and forthcoming projects. While planning key areas like natural areas, land price, water supply, transport, social index, population, and urban fabrics are considered. The department needs to perform activities like scrutinizing multi-dwelling apartments, preparing schemes, and layout plans.
- Land Acquisition Department
- Finance Department
- Law Department
- General Allotment
- Public Relation
- Environment and Horticulture
BDA has developed the Bangalore environment to a great extent. Apart from advanced city life and facilities, there has been development of lakes, tree parks, horticulture, renovations, utility services, and amenities. Brief notes on BDA's contribution to the environment are given below:
- Lakes have been desilted and made more attractive
- The number of tree parks and plantations have been increased and greenery has been enhanced.
- Renovations and recycling has been done on a large scale. Old landmarks at Bangalore such as Lalbagh Glass House, Lalbagh lake, etc have been renovated.
- Environment planning like the Integrated Urban Environment Improvement Project (IUEIP) has been undertaken.