The Digboi petrochemicals plant was commissioned in 1901 and was a part of the Assam oil company. It is the oldest refinery inIndia and forms an important part of theIndian petrochemical industry. In 1981, theIndian oil corporation limited (IOCL) took over the Digboi petrochemicals plant.
Through rail wagons and road, the petroleum products that are produced in the Digboi petrochemicals plant are transported mainly to the north- eastern part of the country.
In 1999, a new unit of delayed coking has been set up with a capacity of 170,000 tpa. In 2003, a new unit of solvent dewaxing was set up for the production of wax of micro- crystalline quality. In order to improve diesel quality a hydrotreater was commissioned in 2003.
This modernization of the petrochemicals plant in Digboi have helped significantly in increasing the out put of production, the quality of products, and have also helped in energy conservation. Steps have been taken to control pollution levels and ensure the safety of the people.
The Digboi petrochemicals plant manufactures:
- High speed diesel
- Mineral turpentine oil
- Furance oil
- Jute batching oil
- Motor spirit
The Digboi petrochemicals plant has developed a lot since it was commissioned. That this improvement continues to take place, steps must be taken by the petrochemical industry inIndia and the government ofIndia.
Last Updated on 13 December 2011