Top Insurance Companies in India

List of top insurance companies



Following are some of the top insurance companies in India.

Life Insurance Corporation of India

The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) is undoubtedly India's largest life insurance company. Fully owned by government, LIC is also the largest investor of the country. LIC has an estimated asset of ` 8 Trillion. It also funds almost 24.6% of the expenses of Government of India.

Established in 1956 and headquartered in Mumbai, Life Insurance Corporation of India has 8 zonal offices, 100 divisional offices, 2,048 branch offices and a vast network of 10,02,149 agents spread across the country.

Tata AIG Insurance Solutions

Tata AIG Insurance Solutions, one of the leading insurance providers in India, started its operation on April 1, 2001. A joint venture between Tata Group (74% stake) and American International Group, Inc. (AIG) (26% stake), Tata AIG Insurance Solutions has two different units for life insurance and general insurance. The life insurance unit is known as Tata AIG Life Insurance Company Limited, whereas the general insurance unit is known as Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited.

AVIVA Life Insurance

AVIVA Life Insurance, one of the popular insurance companies in India, is a joint venture between the renowned business group, Dabur and the largest insurance group in the UK, Aviva plc. AVIVA Life Insurance has an extensive network of 208 branches and about 40 Bancassurance partnerships, spread across 3,000 cities and towns across the country. There are more than 30,000 Financial Planning Advisers (FPAs) working for AVIAV Life Insurance. It offers various plans like Child, Retirement, Health, Savings, Protection and Rural.

MetLife Insurance

MetLife India Insurance Company Limited is another popular player in Indian insurance sector. A joint venture between the Jammu and Kashmir Bank, M. Pallonji and Co. Private Limited and other private investors and MetLife International Holdings, Inc., MetLife Insurance offers a wide range of financial solutions to its customers including Met Suraksha, Met Suraksha TROP, Met Mortgage Protector and Met Suraksha Plus etc. It has its branches situated over 600 locations across the country. More than 50,000 Financial Advisors work for MetLife.

ING Vysya Life Insurance

ING Vysya Life Insurance entered into the Indian insurance industry in September 2001. A joint venture between ING Group, Ambuja Cements, Exide Industries and Enam Group, ING Vysya Life Insurance uses its two channels, viz. the Alternate Channel and the Tied Agency Force to distribute its products. The first channel has branches in 234 cities across the country and has got 366 sales teams. On the other hand, the later one has more than 60,000 advisors. Currently, ING Vysya Life Insurance has tie ups with more than 200 cooperative banks.

Birla Sun Life Financial Services

Birla Sun Life Financial Services is a joint venture between Aditya Birla Group and Sun Life Financial Inc, Canada. It has got an extensive network of more than 600 branches. More than 1,75,000 empanelled advisors work for Birla Sun Life, which currently covers over 2 million lives.

MAX New York Life

Max New York Life Insurance Company Ltd. is one of the top insurance companies in India. A joint venture between Max India Limited and New York Life International (a part of the Fortune 100 company - New York Life), Max New York Life Insurance Company Ltd. started its operation in April 2001. It currently has around 715 offices located in 389 cities across the country. It also has around 75,832 agent advisors. Max New York Life offers 39 products, which cover both, life and health insurance.

Bajaj Allianz

Bajaj Allianz is a joint venture between Bajaj Finserv Limited and Allianz SE, where Bajaj Finserv Limited holds 74% of the stake, whereas Allianz SE holds the rest 26% stake. Bajaj Allianz has been rated iAAA by ICRA for its ability to pay claims. The company also achieved a growth of 11% with a premium income of ` 2866 crore as on March 31, 2009.

Bharti AXA Life Insurance

Bharti AXA Life Insurance, one of the top insurance companies in India, is a joint venture between Bharti group and world leader AXA. Bharti holds 74% stakes, whereas AXA holds the rest of 26%. Bharti AXA has its branches located in 12 states across the country. It offers a range of individual, group and health plans for its customers. Currently more than 8000 employees work for Bharti AXA Life Insurance.

Other Life Insurance Companies in India


  • Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company Limited
  • AVIVA Life Insurance
  • Bharti AXA Life Insurance
  • Cholamandalam General Insurance Company Ltd.
  • Max New York Life Insurance Co. Ltd
  • MetLife Insurance
  • SBI Life Insurance Co. Ltd.

Last Updated on 01/29/2013

>> More About Insurance